Thursday, May 6, 2010

Top Naked

It's hard for me to sum up the last month of my life in a few paragraphs on this here blog, but I'll do my best, albeit briefly...

So, heading down to the islands a week earlier than planned was perhaps the best decision we ever made. To sum it all up, it was insanely beautiful, with massive limestone cliffs towering out of the emerald colored waters. We snorkeled so much that I forgot what life was like above the water. We even got our open water scuba certification, and then snorkeling just seemed lame. We hiked to viewpoints, we cliff jumped, we rock climbed, we took so many boat rides, it seemed like the only way to get around. I didn't wear a shirt for the majority of my island time, and embraced my new sense of half-nudism (hence the title of this post). We watched colorful sunsets paint the sky as often as we could. And oh yeah, I got a tattoo. We met lots of amazing people, covered ourselves in neon body paint at the infamous Full Moon Party on Ko Phangan, and danced so much, it was hard remembering how to walk the next day.

But, I'd have to say if I had to pick an all time favorite moment of our time on the Thai Islands, it would be without a doubt, sleeping at Maya Bay. Not only is this the most beautiful beach I've ever seen in the daylight, but it's just as impressive at night. Around midnight, we went for a swim in the bay. But this swim was different than any other swim. The plankton that live in the Maya Bay waters, react to movement, and when they react to movement, they glow. And also, there was a lightning storm going on somewhere off in the distance. So put it all together. Night swimming at the most beautiful beach ever, little neon green specks all around you, while lightning lights up the sky. Probably one of the most awesome experiences of my life. Waking up on the sand the next morning and seeing the famous cliffs of the bay wasn't a half bad way to start the day either...

All good things have to come to an end, however. And before we knew it, three weeks was over and our trip was complete. We flew back to Bangkok, spent the billionth hour in the Bangkok airport, and me and Josh said our emotional goodbyes. The trip was incredibly amazing, no question, the best two months I've ever had in my life. When I think back at everything we saw and did, it seems hard to believe that I actually saw and did those things.

Now it is May 6th, and tonight I'm flying down to Australia for the 2nd part of my round the world adventures. Who knows what'll happen next...

No comments:

Post a Comment