Friday, October 23, 2009

College Orientation?


Hello friends and followers. The past few days have been a throwback to the early days of my college youth. Meeting new people, trying to remember everyones name, asking where they are from and where they are going. I have met some really incredible people so far, and with 90+ people on the program, I am sure that I will meet many more. The days have been filled with long, 2 hour classes ranging from Thai Culture and Language to Teacher Training. Some are more interesting than others, and they all kind of blend together after a while. Yesterday we took a trip to the Grand Palace in downtown Bangkok and saw the famous Emerald Buddah and walked around the 60 acre complex for a couple of hours. It was hot and humid and I was sweating like crazy but everything I saw made me so excited to be there that I didn't even care. I don't think it's really hit me yet that I'm even in Thailand, it feels like I'm at Disneyworld at the Thailand part of Epcot. That will all change next week when I'm sent off to my school in Nakhon Pathom, about an hour west of Bangkok. It is going to be sad to leave some of the friends I've made already, but luckily a lot of them are around the Bangkok area, and can easily be visited on the weekends by a short bus ride. I met my coordinators, Andy and Pat last night at the Welcoming Dinner, and they were just as great as I hoped they would be. Andy wore a colorful plaid blazer, which immediately made me like him, and Pat is a really nice lady who I found out enjoys a good Jameson on the rocks. I'm excited to get to know them better and to start teaching, but I'm not quite sure I'm ready for my college orientation redux to end quite yet...

1 comment:

  1. Yes, that is all wonderful, but did you go by the Chabad??
    Allene

    ReplyDelete