Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Collision Course

So as I said before, I was involved in an accident a few days ago. I was not driving a car, or a motorbike... I was on my bicycle. I was not hurt, and neither was the other cyclist, but it was still unbelievably hilarious. I was on my way to do private tutoring, and I'm minding my own business biking down the road. All of a sudden this Thai girl on another bicycle pops out of nowhere from a side street, and ends up right in my path. Before I was able to change course, we collided. It happened so fast, food went flying, drinks spilled, she screamed. She screamed so loud, it actually sounded like she was being murdered. My immediate reaction, of course, was to ask her if she was OK, and I was seriously concerned that I had really hurt her. Due to her screams, I'd say a good 20-30 Thai passerby's gathered around us to see what all the commotion was about. They probably all thought it was the stupid American's fault, but they would be wrong. When I realized the girl was fine, I helped her pick up all her things that spilled. As I repeatedly asked her, "OK? OK?" she started laughing at me. Then everyone else who was watching us started laughing at me. And then finally, I started laughing. It was just such a bizarre situation, and the crash itself was funny enough. I mean, how often do you hear about bicycle accidents? I picked up my bike and rode off, and continued to laugh to myself as I felt all the eyes watching me, everyone making fun of me in Thai. I would have loved to have been a witness to this accident, as I'm sure it was very amusing. I guess I'll just have to settle as being the one involved. Valuable lesson learned though... always be ready for small Thai girls to pop out of nowhere when you are riding your bicycle.

1 comment: