Monday, January 11, 2010

Same, Same

This past weekend was more of the same (same) as usual. Not only am I trying to save money for the big adventure coming up with Josh, but also, no one was really doing anything too exciting this weekend. So it was back to Bangkok for me. I got there Saturday morning and met up with my friends Lauren and Kaitlyn and we spent some time exploring Bangkok's famous Chatuchak weekend market. I mostly took pictures and the girls shopped for whatever girls shop for, but it was a good time and really cool to finally see.

A shop owner catches me taking his picture in Chatuchak Market

After becoming increasingly hot and sweaty due to the 80 degree humid weather Thailand has in the middle of "winter," we left to meet up with our other friend Katie and get down to business. The business I am referring to is planning our India trip. Our hostels internet wasn't working so we had to go to a Starbucks down the road and we had an intense 4 hour long trip planning session. I really felt like I was back in college in a study group or something. We had laptops out, books were all over the table, people were getting stressed. But you know, in the end, it all worked out and I think we have an awesome 2 week long trip planned in India. There are a few kinks that need to be worked out here and there but nothing that's not fixable. After the planning session, we got dinner and then went out for the night. I might of had a few too many Hong Thong whiskey and cokes, and rum buckets as I was not feeling too good the next morning...

After an awesome breakfast of french toast and a cheese omelet, I went to the Bangkok Art and Culture Center. I've been meaning to go there for a while, but hadn't had a chance until then. It was an awesome place full of little galleries, shops, classrooms, and installation pieces. It was interesting to see what Asian art is like, as I don't know too much about it, and I was
definitely impressed by a lot of what I saw. Lots of cool photographs, crazy murals painted on walls, unbelievably bizarre video projects and a room full of neon blue lit up numbers were some of the highlights. Afterwards I popped into McDonald's to get a chocolate sundae which I have now become obsessed with. I love 'em, what can I say? Don't judge me. Then I just took the van back to school and had a lazy Sunday afternoon hanging around. I felt like such an American this weekend, weird.

The Bangkok Art and Culture Center

I'm aching to go somewhere new now. I've been to Bangkok a lot lately, and I'm ready for a different adventure. I'll definitely be there at least Saturday next weekend, then who knows for Sunday. I'll just have to wait and see where Thailand takes me the weekend after...

No comments:

Post a Comment