Tuesday, November 17, 2009

...28 Days Later

I have now been in Thailand for one full month. But instead of rage infected man eaters like the title of the post suggests, I have prepubescent wild Thai kids. Today I gave my first test to a class, and caught two kids cheating. I walked over to them, pulled out a big red pen from my pocket and drew a giant zero and wrote FAIL on their paper. Then I simply said, "don't cheat," and walked away as they put their heads down in shame. Yesterday, I joined the art club at school and helped monitor all the little primary school kids as they made little paper mache bowls. I may have made one too. I can't wait till next monday when I get to paint it!

I find it interesting that after a month of being here in Thailand, I no longer think of myself as being in Thailand. I don't know if that makes sense, but it seems like the novelty of it has worn off. Don't get me wrong, I love it here and the places I have been so far are beyond awesome, and I'm sure I will go to dozens of equally awesome places. But it seems that I have just accepted that I live in Thailand now, and I can't really imagine it being any different. I wake up in my apartment every morning, try to chase the geckos out of my room, take the trash out cause it's covered in ants from the one microscopic piece of food that was left in it, and I shower, get dressed, and go to school. I have fallen into a routine, and even though I am in this new and exciting place, I no longer really think about it. I'm just in Thailand, this is where I am right now. I'm sure my friends back home who have traveled and lived in foreign lands understand what I mean when I say this, and I am by no means saying I don't like being here. Honestly, I can't even imagine leaving anytime soon. I'm starting to doubt that I will end up staying an extra semester here at the school, but I have no intentions of coming back to America any time soon.

To mark my one month anniversary here, I am going to watch the Leonid Meteor Shower tonight. It should be a dazzling spectacle for the eyes as hundreds of meteors will whiz by the night sky, and then quickly burn up in the earths atmosphere. Try to catch some stardust.

No comments:

Post a Comment