Wednesday, November 25, 2009

My Brush with Death

I got a new bike. Cost me an extra pretty penny, but at least it won't fall apart on me like the last one did. The night I got it, I took it out for a nice ride around campus, but it was dark and I couldn't always see where I was going. This resulted in one of the most truly terrifying moments of my life. I had accidentally biked near a house which is the stomping grounds for a pack of wild dogs. At first it didn't appear to be a problem, I saw one dog barking but I wasn't concerned because there are dogs barking everywhere here. But slowly, one by one, more dogs came, barking louder and louder, and pretty much blocking off the road so I couldn't bike by them. I'd say there was about 7 or 8 dogs barking at me at this point, and they were staring me down much like a Mexican Standoff. This is where panic mode kicked in. How will I get by them? Will I get by them? Am I about to be torn to shreds by wild dogs in Thailand? These are the questions I asked myself before I decided to just go for it. I could out bike them, couldn't I? I was about to find out. I saw a clear patch of grass to the right, where I thought that if I pedaled fast enough I could get by them with ease. Off I went! Pedaling faster and harder than I ever have before. With my fear at an all time high, thinking I was about to be torn to bits by crazy dogs, I sped past them. I quickly turned around and saw that it was not over yet, the dogs started chasing me. So there I am, riding my bike down a street in Thailand, being chased by dogs. This was probably the most hilarious thing in the world to anyone who saw this happen, but for me, this was truly one of the most terrifying situations I have ever been in. Eventually, the dogs backed off and I rode home, heart beating like crazy, and my legs sore. But I emerged as the victor from the showdown... and if those dogs ever come around my territory I will give them a taste of their own medicine. And by that I mean hide in my apartment and look out the window until they leave.

1 comment:

  1. I am rendered speechless! Seeing your mom tomorrow for Thanksgiving. Will miss you!
    A

    ReplyDelete