Monday, November 16, 2009

Into the Wild

Another weekend, another adventure... but such is life here in Thailand. It all started when I arrived in Kanchanaburi at about 5:30 Friday evening. Checked into an incredible little guest house on the Kwai River called the Sugar Cane. All the rooms are built onto a dock over the river, so you walk outside of your room and you're immediately on the river. There were some amazing views of the sunset, and everyone knows that I am a sucker for sunsets. I don't think I have ever seen sunsets like these though, the sky looked like it was red with fire, and the reflection on the water really added that little something extra.

I met up with a bunch of other people from my program, and I had the most delicious Panang Curry you could ever imagine. We had an early morning, so the night didn't last long, a few beers
and some relaxing times went by quickly. Up early the next morning at 7am, we took a bus to Erawan Falls and hiked up the 7 levels of waterfalls. Along the way, swam in crystal clear water, fish nibbling at my feet. Stood under a towering waterfall, soaked up the sun, ran into a family of wild monkeys, and had some delicious American french fries.

The next day was unlike anything I have ever experienced. Off to the Tiger Temple we went. A place where they rescue endangered Tigers and help breed them with the hopes of increasing the number of Tigers in Asia. Currently there are about 1,200 Indochinese Tigers in the whole continent, down from about 80,000 not too long ago... The place was well organized and the tigers seem genuinely loved and cared for by the monks who run the temple. It was an unforgettable experience being so close to these massive animals. I got to put my head in between a sleeping 7 month old tigers paws, posed for pictures with many adult tigers, and watched them play and exercise. These gigantic cats are really no different than your average house cat, they love to play and jump at things dangling in front of their faces. Seeing the tigers really made me miss Smelliot back home, and I laughed at the idea of her playing with these tigers that are about 10 times her size.

Enjoy the video below of the tigers playing and exercising at the temple. And don't forget about the Leonid meteor shower tomorrow night! It's going to be a pretty awesome display of shooting stars... don't forget to make a wish when you see them! Catch you all on the flipside.

3 comments:

  1. Holy god... I had no idea the tigers would be like that. That picture of you in the paws is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did much cooler things this weekend, your weekend was boring compared to my weekend of sitting at home and doing nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JEALOUS!

    FYI-there are only about 3500 tigers left :-(

    ReplyDelete