Monday, November 23, 2009

A Week in Review

Hello all, nothing really too exciting to report today. The past week has been pretty boring. I didn't go on any trips this weekend, had to stay in and save up some money for this coming weekend and every other weekend after it. I honestly can never stay in my town again on the weekends, there is not a single gosh darn thing to do. So, I have already booked myself every weekend until New Years.

Luckily, I did go on a couple quick journeys this weekend so I would be able to keep my sanity. Friday night, my roommate Jon and I went to Nakhon Pathom, met up with our friend Lauren and went back to our favorite restaurant, Lullaby. We had a nice dinner, made plans for future trips, and then went to a cool bar which had live music. For a moment, it almost felt like I was back in DC, hanging out with Josh at a concert at the 9:30 club. Oh, memories. Sunday I went to a floating market and tried some delicious Thai desserts, walked around, and explored a little bit. I came across a family of kittens that I wanted to keep, but I thought that I couldn't bare to part with any more cats after my emotional goodbye with Smelliot. I started to walk away, but they followed, and as I looked back I wanted to scream something dramatic and emotional to make it easier. You know, something like "Go on, live your life! You are better off without me! Be free!" But I didn't, I just walked away, and that was that. When I got home, I spent about 5 hours grading 360 students tests, not my idea of a lazy Sunday.

One of my kitten friends.

Today has been good so far though, I've had two classes already and they both went really well. I started teaching them about life events, like being born, graduating, buying a house, falling in love, etc. We played a scavenger hunt where students had to ask each other certain questions to see what they have done or want to do in their lives. It seemed to work well and the students enjoyed themselves. I also noticed lyrics to a certain Spice Girls song written on one of the desks in the classroom, evidently the students in Thailand still think its fun to sing this...

If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends,
Make it last forever, friendship never ends,
If you wanna be my lover, you have got to give,
Taking is too easy, but that's the way it is.

I'm not kidding. This was really written on a desk. Someone needs to give the kids in Thailand a pop-culture lesson. A few weeks ago, one of the students told me their dream was to meet Michael Jackson, but I didn't have the heart to tell them the truth.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! Ilan thats the ugliest cat i've ever seen in my life. Can i have it? Also, you should teach your students the macarena, they might be ready for it and watch it sweep the nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilan,

    My name is Alan, Charlotte's eldest (sic) prodigal son. Your grandfather turned me on to your blog and I have become entranced with your Thai experiences and the way you blog them.

    I'm curious, you've mentioned music a few times, and hanging at the 9:30 club, what sort of stuff do you listen to?

    I'm a couple of decades older than you and back in the day it was all jazz all the time until I turned on and tuned in to the Grateful Dead. My tastes are wide but my primary focus is still small ensemble improvisations ... I also like electronic stuff as well --- like Sound Tribe Sector Nine, Chemical Brothers, Orb, etc ....

    I look forward to checking in with your blog every week or so to see what adventures you are enjoying. I have yet to travel outside the US and have always loved everything Thai, in fact, my "plan" is to travel first to SE Asia before Europe or elsewhere ... so I am living vicariously.

    Take Care!

    Alan

    ReplyDelete