Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Funny Moments in the Life

Hello friends and followers. I don't have anything too exciting to talk about today, but I just thought I'd share with you some funny things that have happened to me this week.

Funny moment #1. The other day I went to the pool on campus to get some sun and to do some reading. I was bored, it was a Sunday afternoon, and I didn't have much else on my mind besides relaxing. At the pool, there is a tournament style high dive that I'd say is at least 25 feet high. I was swimming around in the deep end when I noticed some young Thai children laughing at me. I looked at them and said "What?!" They continued to laugh at me and then pointed to the high dive. I asked them "Jump?" They all nodded their heads in excitement. I could tell they were interested in this, so I thought I'd give them a fun show, but only if they did it in return. I said, "I jump, you jump." They all make this noise (as all Thai people do) "Ooooooooooaaaaah." I said, "OK?" They said OK. I made my way up the tall ladder to the top of the dive, and it felt a whole lot higher once I was actually up there. Without thinking, I just ran, jumped off the diving board, did two flips in the air and landed awkwardly and painfully on my side in the water. Ouch. My pain was their enjoyment. They laughed and laughed and laughed, until I said "You go." After some time spent convincing them the best I could in English, one of them finally went. He "jumped" off the board, very reluctantly. And by jumped I mean he slowly walked to the end of the board, took a step, and just fell into the water. The other two kids did basically the same thing and we continued this game for a while, until I left. I'd like to think I made American's look tough though. Those kids were certainly impressed. Who care's if they were about 8 years old and I'm 23. I still won.

Funny moment #2. Yesterday I came back to my apartment after school dying of thirst. To my disappointment, I discovered we were out of water. The only thing I had to drink was a Leo Beer. I was desperate. And desperate times call for desperate measures. I cracked open the Leo, poured myself a glass and chugged that sucker down. The cold beer soothed my dry throat, but this was a bad, bad idea. I drank about half of a big bottle, which is about double the size of a 12 ounce beer in America, but since I was dehydrated, I got drunk. My body was craving water, not alcohol, so I had to pay the consequences. I hadn't eaten in hours, I was dehydrated, and I was tired, half a beer was plenty to buzz me up real good. So, it was 4:00 in the afternoon and I'm now drunk and don't know what to do with myself. I ended up taking a 3 hour drunk nap, and when I woke up, I thought it was the next morning and proceeded to get dressed for school. Eventually I figured out that I'm a complete idiot and that it was still night time. Not my best moment, but still pretty hilarious. We have since gotten water, and I learned my lesson about drinking beer when I'm tired, hungry and dehydrated.

Funny moment #3. After my drunken stupor last night, I was hungry. When I went to the market, I ordered a Thai omelet with rice. As I was waiting, I heard some Thai University students talking next to me. All of a sudden, I heard the word "Farang" in their conversation. I've told you all this before, but "Farang" is a Thai word for Westerner. I've come to think of it almost as my second name because I am referred to as Farang so often. Anyway, whenever I hear it, it grabs my attention. My head immediately spinned towards the students who just completely froze when they realized I understood them. It. Was. Hilarious. They just stood there, not sure what to do. I decided to mess with them a little and started giving them dirty looks (I might have still been a little drunk) and to pretend I was really mad. They completely panicked and one of them just ran away, then the other 2 followed her. I laughed myself silly as I continued to wait for my omelet which was oh so delicious.

And here's something that some of you might find funny as well. A picture of me, hard at work at my desk in my office. A Thai teacher popped up all of a sudden and caught me off guard and took my picture one day when I was working. I think for not being ready for the picture, it's actually pretty good! When I came to school this morning I found a copy of the picture sitting on my desk. I didn't know what to do with it, so I took a picture of it and decided to put it up here. It's not the best quality, but you all get the idea.

Teacha Ilan aka Ajaan Ilan aka Farang Ilan

No comments:

Post a Comment