Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Rat's Fly?!

I know I said I wasn't going to do it again, but the weekend brought me back to Bangkok. I wanted to go somewhere else, but that's where my friends were heading. After my solo trip last weekend, I wanted to spend some time with them, before the very fast approaching end of the semester. I can't believe there's only one month left. Where did all the time go? So much I wanted to do and see that I haven't done yet! Oh well, a month is still a long time, and I'm betting I can get a lot done if I put my mind to it.

Friday night was Jon's birthday, which is the main reason we were in Bangkok this weekend to begin with. We checked into the same hotel I stayed in for New Years, had a few beers, grabbed some of the most delicious kebabs I've ever eaten, and went out to the bars. We met up with some other friends, but they were getting dinner, so we kept on drinking. Jon and I spent some quality time talking it up, roommate to roommate at an Australian Bar and making friends with the waitress who had a crush on us. Around midnight, some of our other friends came, but I was way too tired/had too many beers at that point to stay out any later. So, I ended up just going home and falling asleep right away.

A cat I saw giving me the stare in Bangkok

Saturday we went to this giant electronic supplies outlet mall in Bangkok. I've never seen
anything like it before in my life. They had everything electronic related you could think of, and it was a sight to see. I've never lived inside of a computer before, but I have a feeling being in this place is as close as any human would ever get. Lots of lights, lots of shiny metal, lots of things moving around. I could only handle it for so long, and only stuck around long enough to buy some camera cleaning supplies. Then I took a motorbike (why do I keep doing that when they are terrifying?) to meet my friends Joe, Deb, Lexa, Gerry, and Nonie at my favorite Wat in Thailand, Wat Arun. We weren't there long, but it was good to be back there because I hadn't been since before orientation. It was a very happy return. We split up for a little while and I went with my friend Lexa back to her hotel, the Shangri-La, the best hotel in Bangkok. It was amazing. We got room service and watched "Whip It." I felt so luxurious, and the whole time I was wishing I was wearing a bathrobe and drinking fine wine. Maybe next time.

View from the Shangri-La hotel room

Dinner came around and we met up with our friends again and ate some delicious Indian food, followed by a couple beers at an Irish pub next door. It was there that I made some very stupid comments that my friends all made fun of me for the remainder of the night. The title of this post only being one of them. I won't tell you what the other one's were, they are just too embarrassing. Sorry to leave you all hanging. Lexa left a little earlier than everyone, so it was just me left with two married couples. Joe and Deb, and Gerry and Nonie- who are from Ireland. No worries though, they are some of my really good friends here and they welcomed and embraced me into their married life social circle.

My married friends- Deb, Joe, Gerry, and Nonie

The next morning, we were all invited to go have breakfast at Lexa's hotel. It was without a doubt the best breakfast I've had in Thailand. Every kind of breakfast food you could ask for was there. Also, every juice you could want was there. I saw juices at the buffet from fruits I didn't even know could be made into juice! I guess you could say I went to town on the buffet and felt like I was either going to explode or give birth to an elephant when I finished eating. Afterwards, we all went to Chatuchak Weekend Market. I'm basically an expert on that place by now. We walked around for a bit and I got a couple lightweight t-shirts, because it is starting to get unbearably hot here. I need a t-shirt that is made of the thinnest fabric known to man, and then poke holes all over it so I can breathe a little. It's truly brutal to have to work in dress clothes 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with no air-conditioning.

And that was the end of my weekend. It wasn't the most exciting, but I got to see some of my friends who I hadn't seen in a while and I had a good time. With four weekends left to go, I need to start picking my destinations wisely. And I'm serious when I say that I'm done with Bangkok for now. Except that I need to go back there tomorrow and Friday to pick up my India Visa and apply for my Vietnam Visa. But after that, I'm really done. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment